Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace Cord or Buy a New Iron?

Posted by momrox (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 05 at 19:45

My cat bit into the cord of my Rowenta steam iron and split it almost in half. Can I replace this cord without too much difficulty, or would I be better off (and less frustrated) if I buy a new iron?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace Cord or Buy a New Iron?

Back in the "old days", I replaced 3 or 4 iron cords a week, but haven't done any in about 15 years(except the wifes).

Before you get too involved, see if a cord is available. So many of the appliance repair shops have closed in the last few years. If you can't get a cord, buy a new one.

If you are mechanically skilled, see if you can get the iron apart. See how the cord terminals are mounted. If they are crimped, screwed or soldered. If they are screwed, you may be able to change, otherwise it's probably a lost cause.

The cord carries a large current, so don't splice or try to bypass any safety features.

Good luck,

pw

o

Here's an online dealer that has cords. If you can't find one locally, this might be an option.

If you still have any good hardware stores around (and I know they are getting hard to find), take the iron in and have someone there look at it. You may be able to get a universal replacement cord that would work.

As Pee_Wee said, irons draw a high amount of electrical current, so you can't use just any lamp cord. The cord for an iron is heavier duty than a lamp cord.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smallappliance.com Rowenta Replacement Cords

o

Look for a local small appliance repair shop or small tool repair shop. I wanted to replace the cord on a saw that my dog chewed off, and a new battery charger for my drill that wasn't charging. Cost? Nothing, it turns out the shop does a lot of warranty repairs for various companies. They check warranty information and get reimbursed by the company. It was a neat suprise for me, and I was only out of my items for a week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here