Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LCD Monitor problem... power supply?

Posted by criticalmass (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 19:36

I have an old Compaq 5017m LCD monitor. I know it's old, and I should probably upgrade, but right now it's really not in the budget, and so I hooked up my old 17" CRT monitor for now, which takes up 1/3 of my desk!

Anyway, back to the problem. I was using the computer this afternoon, and got up to leave for about 5 minutes. When I came back, my screen was black, although the power light on the monitor was still green. No matter what I did, I couldn't get a picture back, so I figured it locked up and rebooted it.

The "COMPAQ" boot screen came up for two seconds and the screen went black again. The screen flipped between a black and a dark gray every few seconds. I turned the monitor off, turned it back on, and had a picture... for about two seconds again, then it went black.

That's all the monitor does now... display a picture for two seconds, and go black. If I cycle the power, it works, but only for two seconds.

My thought it the power supply. Of course, it uses a typical 12V, 3.33A supply which I cannot simply test by plugging in another cord. I see eBay has them cheap, but I want to know if the power supply is a pretty good bet before I do. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LCD Monitor problem... power supply?

I've never seen a wall wart be the problem. I'd suspect the fault lies on a circuit board inside the monitor.

o
RE: LCD Monitor problem... power supply?

A volt meter from Radio Shack costs $20. If you don't have one, you need one anyway. That would let you check the power supply.

But you don't need to go there. If the monitor green light is on, it means the power supply is working. There is a high-voltage inverter inside the monitor which drives the backlight. That may be what has gone bad.

Either way, none of this is consumer serviceable stuff. Get a new monitor and be done with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here