Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
criticalmass048

LCD Monitor problem... power supply?

criticalmass048
15 years ago

I have an old Compaq 5017m LCD monitor. I know it's old, and I should probably upgrade, but right now it's really not in the budget, and so I hooked up my old 17" CRT monitor for now, which takes up 1/3 of my desk!

Anyway, back to the problem. I was using the computer this afternoon, and got up to leave for about 5 minutes. When I came back, my screen was black, although the power light on the monitor was still green. No matter what I did, I couldn't get a picture back, so I figured it locked up and rebooted it.

The "COMPAQ" boot screen came up for two seconds and the screen went black again. The screen flipped between a black and a dark gray every few seconds. I turned the monitor off, turned it back on, and had a picture... for about two seconds again, then it went black.

That's all the monitor does now... display a picture for two seconds, and go black. If I cycle the power, it works, but only for two seconds.

My thought it the power supply. Of course, it uses a typical 12V, 3.33A supply which I cannot simply test by plugging in another cord. I see eBay has them cheap, but I want to know if the power supply is a pretty good bet before I do. Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!