Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help -- new home has crazy wiring

Posted by rrs626 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 19:02

We moved into a house that is wired in most rooms for tv and internet... they had satellite and connections in closets for various rooms. There are wires (pigtails?) hanging out of the walls - the cable people couldn't figure it out and the satellite installer said that it is mostly out dated.... I'm at a loss as to know whether or not to just abandon it or not.
Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help -- new home has crazy wiring

Out dated or just not the latest standard?
I suspect that it's RG-6 coax which can still be very useful, if it's routed where you need it.
By 'couldn't figure it out' do you mean they couldn't quickly identify which cables led where?

o
RE: Help -- new home has crazy wiring

I assume they are just not the latest standard. I called the company that installed them and someone came out to label them. But, he couldn't really tell me much about how to use it.

The cables run to a box in the garage. The previous owners had satellite boxes and DVD players in various closets with cables running from there to the various TVs. There are cat 5e+ outlets in every room.

For example, master bedroom closet has a box connected to satellite and internet - from there it goes into an office and the master bedroom. Guest room had satellite box and DVD in closet and then wires coming out into the guest room for TV. We removed the wires and patched the wall but we did leave wires in the closest in case we wanted to use in the future.

The bonus room closet upstairs had same set up. Satellite guy ran a HDMI from a cable in the closet to TV which now has a mini-geni rather than box in the closet. So now we have lots of unsued cables in the closet and coming out of the wall in the bonus room.

What I would like to do is either get rid of them or use them. I would also like to know how to network our printer and also use internet for TV.

We are about to paint our master bedroom and need to decide where or not to keep these cables.

Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here