Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Digital Camera Opinions & Comments *Please!*

Buehl
15 years ago

I'm in the market for a new digital camera. I've gotten so much help and great advice on the Kitchens, Appliances, & Plumbing forums that I thought I would check in here to see what you have to say.

My old camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 has bit the dust (concrete...twice, actually!) and now I need a new one. For the most part, I liked the camera except it didn't have a "sports mode", let me use a fill-in flash in Auto mode, or take very good pictures from a distance--especially inside (stage for bands & plays)

So I've been doing some research (first non-kitchen research in almost a year!). I've looked at:

1. Canon PowerShot S5 IS

2. Canon PowerShot A650 IS

3. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50K

4. Leica V-Lux 1

5. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T100

I think I have it narrowed down to:

• Canon PowerShot A650 ISand
  • Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50

My biggest problem w/the Panasonic is the size...>2x weight of the Canon & bigger overall.

The Canon is pretty much the same as my old A640 w/the addition of the image stablilizer...but it has the problem of the no fill-in flash in Auto mode & no Sports Mode...don't know about distance shots but w/image stabilizer I think it should be at least a little better than the A640!

I use my camera a lot for my children's school & sports events, family events, and lately, thoroughly documenting our Kitchen/PR/Foyer remodel. My children are very active in sports as well as are in bands (my DS made the upper HS band for his Freshman year next year) and plays...so I need a camera that can take fast-action shots as well as far-away shots (both stage & sports fields).

Does anyone have any comments or opinions on either of my top picks...or any of them at all...or even something else for me to look at? I don't want a 4-digit priced dSLR camera, but I do like to play around with settings and such, so an "intermediate" camera is best for me. I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars...and my DH isn't arguing too much since he's the one who dropped it...twice...on the concrete.

(Yes, I searched the Forum and read all the "digital" camera threads that were less than a year old...technology changes so fast!)

TIA for your help!!!

Comments (5)

• klaa2
    15 years ago

We have a Nikon D40X, which has been discontinued in favor of the D60.

You know you can't beat a DSLR. Not only is the picture quality amazing at the fastest iso settings, there is absolutely no delay when you take a picture. As a matter of fact, if sports are important to you, 3 frames a second in continuous mode is what you'll want. It delivers. It's also nice to be able to change lenses. I look at it as upgradeable. There is a drawback, size. Because of the size and weight of the camera we actually just bought a compact to supplement. We use the compact for everyday type events and the Nikon for the bigger ones (as long as I'm the one carrying it around).

Okay, why'd I tell you all that when your looking for a compact? Because our compact is an Olympus Stylus 1010 and the picture quality rivals the Nikon. Both are 10 megapixel cameras (actually the Olympus is 10.1). Of course we can do much more with the Nikon but the Olympus is much more convenient when traveling or just taking everyday shots.

The Olympus cost us $400 with extended warranty, 2x 2gig xD memory chips, and bag.

You can get a Nikon D60 for about $650 is you look hard enough. And D40X for a little less than that.

Either one is under 4 digits.

If you haven't already, take a look at the Olympus.

Klaa2

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Klaa2! I'll definitely look into the Olympus!

I wish I were more of a "photographer," but I'm not so a dSLR isn't for me since I don't want to have to figure out "f stops", manual focusing, etc.

Any other comments about our choices plus Olympus or other suggestions?

Any I should avoid?

• boschinaustin
    15 years ago

Hi Buehl,

The new Digital SLRs all have auto focus (much faster than P&S) and all have "P" (program mode) which handles all settings. The newest Olympus E420 is the smallest one out there. You don't have to do F-stops and these take great pictures at fast rates.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Boschinaustin...

no decision yet as now my DH wants to buy whatever we get at Circuit City since we have enough "points" from our credit card to pay for it!

• rbll
    15 years ago

I have gone through many "smaller" cameras trying to find one that would work as well as my old old old 35 mm did. I bought a Sony Cybershot, a Canon Powershot and something else, I can't remember what now and they all would not take the picture I wanted when I wanted it. By the time I could get the button to push for a second shot, the action was gone.
    I finally bought a Nikon D40. I am no photographer, I need automatic. It is only a 6 Megapixel, but I get the picture I want and the quality is fabulous all of the time. I use the lens it came with and have no regrets and highly recommend it. Yes, it is a little larger, but I get my picture.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!