Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digital TVs and need for cable box?

Posted by tracey_b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 07 at 18:39

Right now all our old TVs are analog while our newest in our new theater room is HDTV and using an HD-DVR cable box. I'm in the market for a "spare" TV for another room. Knowing changes are coming up, I'll be buying one that includes a digital tuner. Okay, here's my question.....will I need a cable box after the Feb. 2009 change-over on my new digital TV purchase? Guy at BestBuy told me that as things stand today, I WILL need one to receive anything other than the over-the-air stations. (Bummer--I thought I'd get one of those flat panel ones to mount in the corner--no room for cable box.) I have Mediacom cable and currently do not need a box for any TVs receiving basic stuff below channel 100 (non-digital pkg). I don't see why I'd need a box after the change (except for the old analog TVs) if the new TV can receive digital signals. Please help me understand! Thank you!!

Tracey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digital TVs and need for cable box?

As of March 1, 2007, television sets that can receive signals over-the-air, including pocket-sized portable televisions, must include digital or HDTV tuners so they can receive digital broadcasts.

Takes a while for them to show up on the shelfs of the neighborhood retailer.

o

Thank, Mikie. Yeah, I saw the "consumer alert" on the pre-digital tuner sets displayed at the stores.

Well, we made our purchase, yet this time the sales guy said we won't need a cable box after 2009 "just because" (like the first guy said) on the new sets (for basic cable programming), just for the old analog sets. Guess we'll find out then.......

Tracey

o

My guess is that you will be able to receive "basic tier" programming with your digital ready TV. To receive anything past that you will need a "cable card ready" TV and cable card or a cable box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here