Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tracing Wiring

Posted by ctghost (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 18:36

I purchased a travel trailer that came equipped with some type of unknown built-in electronics package (stereo, radio, etc). The electronics unit broke and the previous owner cut the plug off the back of the unit and threw it away.

All I have are several wires and no idea where they go. There are several speakers mounted to the ceiling in the living/kitchen area and bedroom and what I guess is a speaker mounted close to the floor in the cabinet where the old unit was located.

I would like install something and take advantage of the speakers and wiring, yet don't have a clue as to how to go about determining what wires go where, etc. Let alone how I might connect these to a replacement unit.

I have contacted the trailer manufacturer (Coachmen) and they were unable/unwilling to provide any assistance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to how to proceed from here.

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tracing Wiring

You can use a digital multimeter to check continuity. Get a multimeter from a local electronics store, like Radio Shack, or borrow one from a friend. Set the unit to check continuity. You place one probe on the end of one of the wires and then use the other probe to touch the end of the the other group until you hear the unit make a noise. When it does, this means that the signal ran from one end to the other and you have a match. Have some masking tape on hand to mark the matching wires.

It really is pretty easy to do. If the ends of the wires are far apart, you may need to twist another piece of wire to the end to make it reach the probes.

Hope I explained it okay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here