Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

extra TV or large computer screen in kitchen?

melissastar
13 years ago

I'm just starting a major kitchen remodel and would like to incorporate a fairly large screen (of some sort) above the refrigerator. Optimally, I would love to be able to both watch TV and DVDs on it and use it as an auxillary screen for my laptop computer, so that, for example, when my son and I want to look at something together, we can use it and I can pull up recipes online and read them from the cooking counter.

I am, however, an electronics idiot and haven't a clue as to what kind of wiring needs to be done or how to hook one thing up to another or what to buy. Right now, I have a Mac desktop in the adjoining Dining Room and a wireless router (right word?)for my laptop and my son's. I get my TV and Internet service from Comcast and I have a 36" flat screen TV in the family room nearby that I would consider using as the one in the Kitchen and replacing with a larger (slightly) one in the living area. The DVD player is in the family room.

Some random questions: Should I buy a computer screen or a new TV? Do I need to buy a second DVD player or can I connect the current player (or maybe a newer better model) to a second TV in the kitchen? Speakers?

Could some of you kind folks help me out and either tell me what I should do, or point me in the right direction for help? I'll need to get any wiring done soon, as the walls are down now, but won't be for long!

Comments (5)