Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
charging 1.5 v batteries

Posted by tim45z10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 15:44

I have a dc to dc converter. The lowest setting is 3vdc. Can I run two 1.5v batteries in series and charge them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: charging 1.5 v batteries

Rechargeable 1.5 volt batteries are usually around 1.25 volts +/- so, yes, you can charge them from a 3 volt source.

Depending on the battery capacity, amount of discharge, and current capabilities of your DC/DC converter, you will probably need some type of charge controller circuit.

It may need to be a regulator circuit, a simple current limiting resistor, watching the charge rate with an inline current meter and voltmeter, or simply feeling the the battery temperature with your hand and knowing when to stop the charging.

There are many small battery chargers that use a 12 volt input, or even have a built-in solar cell to charge the batteries. Those would be an off the shelf solution that don't require any electrical engineering work.

Maybe something like that may work for you instead of trying to use a 3 volt supply?

o
RE: charging 1.5 v batteries

Thank you for your help. Most of the questions I ask here will never be performed. I do spend some time and money on prepping. I am curious in case I do need it.
Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here