Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
little 12db amp question...

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 07 at 15:21

I guess I just made the split that broke the camel's back. I added a dvd recorder this weekend. I added a two way splitter at the wall where the cable used to go to the cable box. It now goes to the dvd recorder as well. The picture with the recorder's tuner is somewhat pathetic. I put the little 12db booster between the wall and splitter and the picture improver...on the tv too! Two questions....
1) Should put the booster in the basement where the cable enters the house just before the 4 way splitter down there---maybe all tvs get a better picture...? 2) The booster package say it will not work with digital cable boxes...what the heck does that mean...I thought the cable compainy's box we had was digital?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: little 12db amp question...

I'm not sure on this but I believe you lose about 1/2 the signal with every split, no matter how good the splitter.

Signal boosters can create two problems. One, they can leak noise back into the line and cause problems with the neighbors reception. You may have the cable company knocking on your door, they have a device which they can use to track down these leaks.

Two, your cable box is most likely addressable, which means that it sends information back to the cable company (Yes, they can tell what you are watching at any time). This is necessary for Pay Per View and all those new nifty interactive features with cable. Some boosters will block the ability for this two way communication.

I recommend that before you boost you see if the cable comapny will come into your home and check the signal at each of the TV's and the recorder. They may want to change the ends of some of the cables (which will help!) or make other suggestions. Just make sure that you know if you will be charged for the visit.

o
RE: little 12db amp question...

The CC actually rewired the ome with RG6 and left me with many rg6 cables for connecting everything. They said I had good strength to the tv and likely will blame my split. The STILL do not have PPV on my street so I am not going to worry about that. If they want to come knockin', that fine with me, I asked for them to boost the signal or provide me a booster when they were hear months back...they said it was not necesary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here