Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Using a splitter with digital converter box

catherinet
14 years ago

Hi all,

I have my converter box, TV, and VCR up and running, but would like to also be able to tape onto my DVR. Can I still use a splitter? Would I place it between the converter box and the VCR or between the VCR and DVR???

I know everything has to be done after the converter box, but didn't know if it mattered where. I hope this is possible.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• pjb999
    14 years ago

You should be able to use a splitter - you could use an rf - the aerial type splitter- or, you can get rca type splitters - but since the converter box is where you select the channels, you will still only have one channel at a time, as far as I know - or does your converter box feed multiple channels through? If so, you're good provided you don't degrade the signal by multiple splits.

I would put the splitter right after the converter.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks pjb,
    I tried the splitter between the converter box and the DVR and VCR, but it seems the picture quality went down.
    I have been playing with the idea of taping my shows on my DVR instead of the VCR, so maybe (since the splitter seems to decrease the pic quality) I can get a switch thing, which would allow me to either use the VCR or the DVR (one at a time).....which hopefully would mean the pic quality would stay unaffected?

• eeagle
    14 years ago

I would just run composite (Y) or component (G,B,R) and their associated audio (R, W) from the converter box to the DVR. I think you will get a higher quality recording than trying to use an RF (coax) signal.

If you must have an RF signal get a high quality RF 3-way splitter recommended by your cable company; where I live they install them for free.

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

With only (1) converter box, you'll only be able to watch and/or record (1) channel at a time.

What's the model number of the converter, TV, VCR, and DVR ?

(you didn't buy an HD TV yet ?)

• catherinet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, I didn't buy another TV. I decided to just use my old one with a Zeinith converter box. I have a Phillips TV and a panasonic VCR and a Sony DVR - model RDR-VX530.
    I feel bad for all the people out there, even less smart than me, who are going to run into lots of frustrating problems.
    But who knows......maybe soon there will be another invention that will make it all easier again.
    We don't have cable out here, and can't get much of anything else since its so expensive.
    After the analog doesn't work anymore on Friday, I'll probably be able to better assess what I want to do. But at least I have the converter box, VCR and TV hooked up and working. I have to regrow a few brain cells to move on to the DVR. haha

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County