Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why does sound volume vary so much on TV?

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 12, 09 at 11:39

Since I've been using the digital converter box, it seems like I'm constantly having to adjust the sound volume. Some stations are too loud and others are too soft. Any ideas why this is happening?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why does sound volume vary so much on TV?

I'm not sure why it would be different now you're on a converter box but it may be something to do with how the box handles the 'demuxing' of the mpeg signal.

My hitachi tv has an option to adjust the default sound level for a particular channel - you might want to see if your tv has the same option, if the levels are consistent it ought to solve your problem.

With cable tv like I have, the problem is poor quality control back at the company's main distribution outlet. There should be a 'master control' room that checks the levels of everything going out. I suspect it's something about your converter box, since it's a new issue.

Take a look at the manual or the internal menus if it has them, or the manufacturer's website and see if they offer any solutions, otherwise.

o

Thanks pjb. I've noticed its especially bad when I tape a show on my VCR. The TV volume is fine, but when I go to watch the tape its extremely loud, even though the volume for that station was fine right before I taped it.

o

My cable provider exhibits widely-varying volume levels between non HD and HD channels. Some of the HD channels are startlingly loud.
Casey

o

You can buy a volume control box. I've got the same problem and found a box at a major online electronics store. I'm sorry I don't recall the name. It's a 3 letter
name , I believe, which is commonly mentioned in forums.

It was 30.00.

When I wrote to our local station's chief engineer he said the network insisted that output levels be at a certain point while other networks required other levels. It's
so bad that I sometimes avoid stations if I find anything
even remotely interesting on an alternate channel. I
am using OTA signal not cable. But the network still is the one who sets the level to cable and
it's probably in the contract what audio levels must be maintained to the public if they
are to be allowed to broadcast.

o

Thanks gardurnit and Casey.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here