Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converting Rechargeable Spotlight to Hardwired?

Posted by locust78 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 10:03

I have one of those hand-held mega-candle power rechargeable spotlights. It's getting a little old & the battery is failing. Instead of buying a new battery, can I convert it so that it runs directly off a corded current as opposed to running from the battery?
I've already tried jumping the current directly from the plug-in adapter to the bulb with no results. I get the feeling that there's something different about current running from the adapter to the battery compared to what's running from the battery to the bulb. Can anyone offer some insight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converting Rechargeable Spotlight to Hardwired?

Assuming simple stuff...

Look at the bulb markings for volts and watts. You may have to do a bit of web searching if just a bulb part number.

Look at the charger markings for volts and current.

Usually just match em up fairly close on volts - incadescent? bulb doesnt care if ac or dc is powering it, but the power brick or charger has to have enuff current in addition to being near the same volts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here