Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judys_ont

vhs to dvd

judys_ont
18 years ago

I saw an article on my servers page that there is such a thing as a vhs to dvd device. The article was 8 months old.

I went to Best Buy website to search out the Sony RDR-VX500 or any vhs to dvd device and could find nothing.

Did they not last? Anyone heard or tried one of these?

Comments (10)

• HeidiHoHum
    18 years ago

A friend just told me yesterday about her husband buying a DVD burner for the tv. She said they can play VHS (also hooked up to the tv)and copy (burn) it onto DVDs.

• judys_ont
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HeidiHoHum,

I'd be interested in knowing what one they got, how they like it, and how good a job of burning it does.

• cseyer
    18 years ago

If you have a decent computer you can easily capture VHS edit and burn to DVD. You can buy a standalone DVD burner and connect your VHS to burn to dvd, editing will be limited especially on the models without a hard disk. In any case commercial VHS are likely protected my macrovision and so you wont be able to copy those but any home movies are fair game. An excellent site that gives step by step guides on how to capture video and burn to DVD is linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video Help

• cseyer
    18 years ago

And the Sony RDR-VX500 is available at amazon, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: RDR-VX500

• judys_ont
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Waiting until warranty is up before I install sound card needed to do job on computer.

Would like opinions on the vhs to dvd devices.

I want to convert all my personal, not commercial, vhs tapes.

• cseyer
    18 years ago

If you want straight one to one copies (VHS to DVD) with no edits the standalone Sony will do a great job for you. If you want to add titles, background music, transitions, unique menus then you want to do it on your PC.

• judys_ont
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cseyer,

thanks-good to know.

The tapes I am fussy about will wait until my computer is set up, but in meantime I do have some stuff that I could do now.

• lisa6kids
    18 years ago

Can you transfer it with the Sony VCR/DVD recorder and then edit it on your computer or would it just be easier to do it on your computer.

• johndeere
    17 years ago

I have had a DVD recorder for a few years now and it is very easy to do.I just wanted my old VHS Home Movie tapes on DVD.I do not care about editing or adding music.You can buy a DVD recorder for a very reasonable price now.I recently bought a off brand DVD recorder VHS combo at Walmart for $99.99 and as soom as my wife opens it for Christmas we will see how it does recording her TV programs just like she has used a VCR for.She also has many VHS tapes she has recorded over the years history moments and things she wants to hang onto.But now we will be able to have it on DVD taking up less space then those clunky VHS tapes.

• steve_a
    17 years ago

I would also recommend looking at the Panasonic DVD/VHS recorders. I have been very happy with mine for over a year now. It was $300 but there may be better deals available now.