Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another digital tv question

Posted by tralynn (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 7:04

We have two digital converter boxes, one in lr one in br.
We need to use a splitter so we can use both boxes. My problem is, on the splitter package it says do not hook it up before a cable box or satellite tv receiver it is supposed to be after. Does anyone know why? Right now it is hooked up like this, antenna into converter box, then to dvd, then to the satellite receiver, splitter, then to the tv. It comes in great, but then when you try the br tv, you are getting the same station as the lr. You cannot change channels, the converter does not respond to the remote. You have to watch the same thing. Would I dare to put the splitter right after the converter box? I don't know why it says to put it after the satellite receiver. I wish I didn't have to do all this, since we do have a dish but they do not offer local channels. Hope someone can help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another digital tv question

I have cable, and so have no experience with a digital converter, but I have enough experience with the rest of it that I should be able to help you through it.

If this was regular cable TV, you could run the cable into the splitter, run those signals into the LR and BR televisions converters, and it would work.

I'm IMAGINING that you could do that with a digital converter as well. You certainly won't harm anything, so it's worth a shot.

The only reason it may not work is if the frequency that the signal travels on is outside the frequency range printed on the splitter. I don't know the frequency range that the digital box uses, so I can't answer that question.

What's happening in your case now is that the digital tuner can only tune in one channel at a time, and THAT is the signal you're splitting -- just that one channel. Your ONLY choice is to split it before the boxes. Hope this helps.

o
RE: another digital tv question

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try. It's worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here