Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aellis722

Need a new Tv, thoughts on led/plasma

aellis722
9 years ago

Im in the market to get a new tv. I have always preferred plasma screens to lcd/led screens, at least they have always looked better to be in the store. With most of the manufactures killing plasma screens outside LG and Samsung. What led tv manufacture should I go with? I owned a really old Hitachi lcd tv and I returned it within one day after seeing really bad motion blur while watching sports. Im sure my now they are allot better then they use to be, but not sure what to look for. Allot of them I see on the market are 120 Hz now so im sure they are better. Are 120 Hz sets good with fast motion in sports? I dont have a whole lot of money to spend, but I got a HH Gregg store credit of 600.00 dollars that I want to use before it expires. I dont mind putting some money with it, im just ready to upgrade my old crt. I know plasma is all but dead, but It would fill the wants I have with a tv fast fluid motion and good black levels. What are your thoughts on LED/plasma screens?

Comments (3)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    9 years ago

I think that plasma looks infinity better than LCD but like the Betamax quality looses to price in a Wal-Mart world. If it was me, I'd be looking for a Panasonic plasma before they're all gone. They have number of great sets in a variety of price ranges including one that supposedly beats the Kuros.

Beyond that, Samsung makes some really nice LCDs in their upper range.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yeah it was betamax vs. vhs all over again, plasma was better but more expensive to manufacture so the marketing geniuses came up with a bunch of gimmicks to make LCD look like the more promising technology. 120 hz, it turns out, makes everything look like a cheap soap opera.

• andrelaplume2
    9 years ago

I have a 55” LED LG in my family room with windows. I could not be happier with the picture. Its probably 4 years old and cost $1200 or so—very vivid picture. We decided to get a second set in our basement. I bought a LG 60” plasma for $499!!!…it was too good a deal to pass up over the holidays. Personally, I like the picture of the LED better. It just seems brighter to my eye. There is nothing wrong with the plasma, it simply did not WOW me the way I thought it would. I would certainly buy it again so if you get a deal, grab one. I will tell you this, its like looking on a mirror though. Everything is reflected off the screen. You get used to it but I’d imagine it would be worse in a daylit family room as compared to a basement. Just my two cents….<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />