Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
security camera questions?

Posted by bill_h (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 05 at 0:33

i would like to set up a camera to watch my dog kennel, i have an older vcr, and i have seen these inexpensive cameras. what i want to do is record a 24 hr tape, if this is possible. what do i need to do this? can i do this? or do i need a bunch of expensive equipment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: security camera questions?

You will need a special VCR to record 24hr tape. Don't know how expensive they are. I would look into digital and record on your hardrive of your PC.

o

That's right. You need a special vcr or dvr that records "snapshots" at a specified rate like once per second.

These guys were the first hit from Google "security vcr"

Here is a link that might be useful: Security VCR

o

thanks bill g that link helped. now if iam smart enough to get it to work with my p/c thats the question.

o

Our DVR system at work records more than once a second. I looks like regular video.

o

The XCAM2 seems to be a good, and cheap, option. It's not great at night (very bad picture), but for security purposes, people say it does the job. I'm getting one for my house (3 toddlers rooms and gameroom). It broadcasts to your tv, remotely, and triggers the VCR to record when it senses motion. Cool stuff!

Here is a link that might be useful: XCAM2 Info and sales page

o

You can use a security DVR unit for that. This
4 channel security camera DVR unit even has network capability so that once you set it up you can view remotely over the internet.

Here is a link that might be useful: best source for video surveillance/ home security camera system, Network IP camera and other CCTV related products.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here