Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Linksys wireless router

Posted by slc2053 (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 07 at 23:11

We have a wireless router for our computers in our home, Linksys Model BEFW11S4. How do we set it up so that neighbors cannot use our internet connection?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Linksys wireless router

Set up WEP encription is the normal way. Password access to the router so they dont enter it and simply copy the WEP key. They can hack into it though if they really want to.
Or buy a new router with WPA encription and use a 20 letter passphrase.

o

Mikie...how do I go about doing this until I get around to buying a new router? I went to Linksys' website, but I don't have the "Wireless" tab they refer to in the instructions, and the instructions say they are for this router! I don't want to change something and then not be able to connect to the internet! When I do this will I then have to reconnect or reset some sort of settings to get on the internet?

Thanks!

o

Do you see a link on one of the setup pages for WEP or wireless Security ?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Think 31 characature max passphrase, but might start with something simple like brownDog then change it after youre all up and running ok.

I'd choose 128 bit
Then Default key number 1

Then copy and paste all the keys onto notepad, save it and have it on your desktop before pressing the OK/Apply or whatever it says.

Windows xp will then pop a box showing the available wifi connections and you choose the one with your ssid, copy and paste that #1 key into the little windows text box.. Connect. (cross your fingers ;)

If for some reason windows cant connect, you can always take a paperclip and reset the router to defaults ... or hook up a network cable to get back into it on a wired connection if you have a lot of settings you dont want to luze.

o

Here's a link to the User's Guide for this router:

Here is a link that might be useful: BEFW11S4 User Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here