Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hitachi 52' question

Posted by snuffyinATL (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 05 at 23:03

A friend of mine is offering me a 52" Hitachi TV for free, says it needs minor repair. This is what he told me happened: The picture started going dim, and he discovered a bunch of dust inside it. With the tv still playing, he got the cute idea to blow the dust out of it. The tv shut down, and he mentioned something about a light coming on to indicate a problem. Does this make any sense to anyone? Should I let this one pass me by, or is it an inexpensive repair? I'm thinking a static discharge problem. The tv is only a couple of years old. Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hitachi 52' question

Hitachi is usually a very good set. But, your symptom is almost non-existant and hearsay at best.

I would first, check the back of the set and see when it was made. A "couple" of years can be anything from 5-10 years old. I suspect that the set is old.

Free Service on a TV, even if it was given to you is highly unlikly.

Call a service shop in your area and get a price for an estimate.

Good luck,

pw

o

You were right! I went and looked at the set, and 10-15 years old is more like it. I plugged it up, turned it on, nothing...not even a pop. I figured it was too good to be true!

o

TV sets are being classified as "hazardous waste", so be verrry careful what you accept. His problem could become your problem.

pw

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here