Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need a good am fm radio with separation

Posted by victory_tea2085 (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 22:50

I would like to buy an am fm radio- no cd-no extras. I want it to be able to pick up am stations without getting 2 stations at once. I would like it to be battery as well as plugin. Please help ( it will be a dad's day present) Thanks!! Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need a good am fm radio with separation

While not cheap, the Tivoli PAL is a am/fm radio with a great tuner. It runs on a/c or its rechargeable batteries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tivoli PAL

o

My favorite radio these days is my shower radio. It is AM, FM, TV band, weather band - but nothing else. It runs on batteries and does not plug in, but if you had a rechargeable battery set-up, it would be fine. I think the water-resistant features are why it does not plug in. The reason I like it so much is that I get great reception - no static on the AM, which is important in our house since the Pistons and Red Wings are both in the playoffs and we like to get the radio play-by-play for our blind elder to hear. I carry the radio around in the morning when I am getting ready for work (it has a handy carry-cord). The batteries do seem to last a long time, too. The tuning function is helpful, you can just go forward or backward through the frequencies, no search function that only zeros in on stations with good signals. I can scroll down the dial by the little increments - FM 97.3, 97.2, 97.1 or AM 1210, 1220, 1230. If the station will come in, no problems with bleeding, but then I am in a huge metro area and am not picking up station in the next state, either. There is an easy-to-use way to set five favorite stations on the memory buttons, too. Cost:$45

Here is a link that might be useful: Sony shower radio

o

Thanks to both of you for the reply. I guess I can't ask my wife to spend 200+ for the radio. Also, I need a radio that will plug in as well as run on batteries. Hoping for some more suggestions. Paul

o

The GE super radio was long the benchmark for portable AM/FM radios (especially AM). It looks like they quit making them but you can still pick them up on ebay (used). They do run on cords or batteries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here