Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayhawker_gw

tie pc to stereo?

jayhawker
14 years ago

We would like to link my mac book pro to our stereo. Sound quality is important. We would prefer to have it wireless. Any suggestions? THanks

Comments (4)

• windslam
    14 years ago

If it's wireless, sound quality could be an issue. You can pick up a wireless transmitter at any electronics store. I have one from Target. You plug the transmitter into the headphone jack and plug your receiver into an "AUX" connection. You can do the same with a direct connect...using the headphone or audio out from your computer and connect to an AUX on your stereo system.

• cparkinson
    14 years ago

hello all,
    This sounds like a solution, but they make some real fancy gadgets to make it possible too.
    A little more information I found---
    On the back of your receiver or stereo you should see two RCA connections that match the end of your cable. There should be a connection labeled AUX - you can use this. If AUX is taken by something you can use CD or DVD or anything else really except Phono or the connection for a turntable. Make sure you do not connect the cable from your Mac into any yellow RCA looking jacks. These are called composite jacks and are used for video only.

On the back of your receiver or stereo you should see two RCA connections that match the end of your cable. There should be a connection labeled AUX - you can use this. If AUX is taken by something you can use CD or DVD or anything else really except PHONO or the connection for a turntable. Make sure you do not connect the cable from your Mac into any yellow RCA looking jacks. These are called composite jacks and are used for video only.

for all your printing needs....printer cartridges

• pjb999
    14 years ago

Since you have a Mac, you already have access to the most elegant of wireless solutions: Airtunes et al, and of course there's also the AppleTV gismo.

You can of course do it with wires, but Airtunes might be a little niftier. I'm not sure if you can still buy them but there was also a companion piece that was just a wifi receiver that connected to your stereo. You can probably buy them on EBay, but check the operating system requirements.

Keep in mind if you have more than one computer running iTunes, you can also listen to music on one computer, on another, if you enable sharing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Airport express/airtunes

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

Related to this is I have a wireless system that has a transmitter by the computer that plugs into a headphone jack and is picked up by several speakers I have around. Nice idea but the signal frquency drifts and has to be adjusted occasionally. Hopefully the computer to receiver system has a locked-in frquency.