Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whole House Audio - New Construction

Posted by equallydivided (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 20:44

Hello, hoping that someone can help me out with a electronics system.

In my last home, I had a receiver in the living room, which had two zones for sound (A and B). The A zone powered the surround sound speakers which were flush in the living room ceiling, and the B zone powered the master bedroom, bathroom and patio speakers which were mounted into the ceiling.

I would love to have the same setup in the new construction house, but would also like to add speakers for the kitchen. I would like the speakers hard-wired and in the ceiling/walls in order to help eliminate clutter and a need to power multiple devices. This is where I need some SERIOUS HELP!

What kind of system should I purchase? What are the options that are available on the market? What are these types of speakers called (for research purposes). I have heard of the SONOS systems, but is that something I should be looking at, considering that I'm doing hard-wired speakers?

Is there a reason why you wouldn't hard wire the speakers as apposed to purchasing the wireless option?

What type of receiver would you consider when looking at the multiple zones?

Thanks for any help you can provide, I'm at a loss!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whole House Audio - New Construction

Why don't you just google 'whole home audio"?

I personally think it's a thing of the 70's and 80's. They used to have intercoms in every room, etc. Reminds me of lava lamps and the Jettson's :)

o

If you have the walls open hardwired speakers are the way to go. It gives you more options/flexibility for the types of speakers and components you can use. Speakers are all over the map as far as price and quality...you can buy a $20 dollar speaker or a $2500 speaker.
Take a look at the Sonos Connect or Russound.

o

Thanks, SweetFish. I appreciate your helpful response.

Geoffrey, I can appreciate GOOGLE, but when I want real input, I tend to ask for advice specific to why my wants are, which is the purpose of this forum. GOOGLE seems to be overrun by those who are selling a product, and are somewhat biased. I'm sure that your type of response would be apprecaited... somewhere else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here