Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody heard of digital video recorder that also can play music?

Posted by swampwiz (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 18:58

This is a stupid question, but I was wondering if the current digital video recorder (DVR) box on the market can also play audio. IOW, instead of playing the (whatever file format that the video program is stored in - AVI? MPG?), the box could play WAV files, with a nice interface being shown on the TV. It seems that this device could easily act as a jukebox as well as a video library.

And also, would such a device have a USB port that when hooked up to a computer, it would be seen as a hard drive, and files could just be transferred? Or (better yet), the box is enough of a computer to be able to recognize external hard drives hooked up to it, and be able to copy those files?

I know that there are some small devices that can be hooked up to an external hard drive and act as an iPod. It would seem that a DVR could do at least that, have its own hard drive, have a USB port or two to transfer data to an external hard drive or camera, etc., and have the hardware to set up a menu with the video signal (viewed via the TV.)

Surely there must be some serious techie couch potatoes here who are up to date on this stuff. Any websites or model and brand names would be helpful

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody heard of digital video recorder that also can play mu

Yeppers, from what I have seen dvr's now will do everything you want. The lowest price one I can find is a tivo. One of the kewlest things is the tivo has a wireless usb network adapter(cost extra thou) that plugs into your comp and no wires to the tivo box, but your connected and can download, program etc.
best of luck chris

o
RE: Anybody heard of digital video recorder that also can play mu

Yes, there is ! In fact, lots of DVR were now in store that offers a lot of cool features. All you gotta do, is to store it in a MP3 files and then after that, you can play it. Just compile it in file for you to play it unanimously.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dress Up Games

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here