Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Philips Magnavox TV Trouble

Posted by jimps043 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 17:23

Hello, I'm new to the forum as well as repairing my television. I have an older TV, a Philips Magnavox, model TS2768 C101 which has recently stopped showing any identifiable image on screen while the sound works fine. When I turn on the TV, the front power LED blinks repeatedly at seemingly equal intervals. The picture that appears on the screen has varied between three different images:

1) A rainbow of colors in the top left corner of the screen which fades into black as it radiates outward.
2) A solid white line across the center of the screen.
3) A solid black screen.

The type of image that appears as mentioned above seems to vary randomly. The weird thing is, after the first time I got the "rainbow image," it stayed that way for a week, and then one day when the TV was turned on, the picture returned and looked fine for the remainder of that day before reverting to a defective state, this time for good. If anyone could provide any possible solutions as to what is causing the problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks to anyone in advance (and apologies for the long post, but I'm just trying to provide as much information as possible that may help identify the problem(s) more easily).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Philips Magnavox TV Trouble

You have probably developed a bad power supply or capacitors and or bad vertical deflection (white line). No tiddling with wires will fix it. Either dig in with an o'scope or take it in for repair or chunk it and go new.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here