Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Kenwood system, still OK?

Posted by moo_ (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 07 at 15:21

Hi. I have a early 1990's Kenwood stereo system, am fm radio tuner, 5 CD, double cassette (don't use anymore) and amplifier with two 36" 140 watt speakers.

It's that big black thing in the corner. :(

I love the sound from it but since I'm remodeling I'm either going to hide the huge speakers or upgrade the system.

Will smaller speakers give me the same sound? Can I add some speakers and run them into much kitchen from this system? Would newer, smaller speakers sound better?

I hate to can such a great sounding system, but I don't want it sitting in the way any longer.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Kenwood system, still OK?

Hard to say without more qualification than "36" 140 watt speakers". Typically, however, the speakers which came with "rack" systems like this were never "surprisingly" good and, given that Kenwood built their reputation on components other than speakers, it's likely they look more impressive than they sound.

So with that as a starting point, I would venture that 15 years of improving speaker technology would give you a number of choices in smaller speakers that sound more accurate. One thing to consider is that most smaller speakers (but not all) have a hard time pushing out "I can feel it in my seat" bass. On the other hand, it's quite likely that shortcuts taken in designing your existing amplifier or speakers limit their ability to play that low, anyway. Unless you're a fan of pipe-organ concerts, disco, or trance music, you probably won't notice what you're missing if you replace bigger speakers with smaller ones.

As for adding speakers, most of that depends on your amplifier -- whether it will accept additional speaker connections (likely) and whether it has enough power to drive the speakers you select (also likely, unless you buy some very low-impedance speakers which may cause problems with the amplifier).

Your best bet is to gather a couple of albums that you really like and know well, and go to the stereo store. I hesitate to recommend big-box electronics stores for this because their setups generally are nothing like what you have at home and because, frankly, the best-sounding inexpensive speakers rarely will be found at such stores. Tell the salesperson what model amplifier you have and how big your room is and go from there. Have fun!

o
RE: Old Kenwood system, still OK?

Wow. Thanks for the great advice! Will do as you say! Moo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here