Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recording from Digital Cable

Posted by bonelady (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 15:17

I know I am slow in moving to new technology, but I just converted to digital cable and cannot record to my VCR. I suspect it has to do with only being able to tape what you are watching ( How silly is that!)

I don't tape much, but often my mother wants me to tape things and bring them to her and I occassionally want to tape something that conflicts with what I want to watch. Comcast DVD might work for that, but at a monthly charge that does not compute for 3-6 times a year.

I hope some of you technos can help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recording from Digital Cable

Are you using a cable box?

o

yes, to get digital here, there must be a converter box, otherwise my cable comes directly into my house.

o

Well, the cable box only outputs one channel so if you hook up the vcr in between the cable box and the tv you will only be able to record the channel you are watching.

If you connect a splitter to your incoming cable, then run one cable from the splitter to the cable box, and the other to the vcr, you could record one basic cable channel while watching a digital cable channel at the same time.

o

Since your VCR does not have a digital tuner you might only be able to tape what you are watching. However many cable companies still send the analog signal into your house. If you connect a cable line direct to your VCR you still might able to tape from the analog signals. That is how it is where I live.

o

Thanks. I guess I will just move the VCR to another TV and limit my recordings to basic cable!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here