Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speakers for a surround system

Posted by angiein (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 14:18

We're doing extensive remodeling and in the family room/great room we're having a 70" TV, stereo surround system put in. We also want some speakers in the living room and kitchen to be connected to this system. My question is can the speakers to the living room and kitchen be turned off independently if you don't want to listen to them at some point.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speakers for a surround system

Not only can it be done, but it's the way it's typically done.

You can have control from the receiver or install an in-wall speaker volume control in the kitchen.

o

Thanks so much. Another question. Do you have a couple name brand system you recommend? I was thinking of going with Bose, but as you know, they're a little on the high side.

o

Some good middle of the road brands for receivers you may wish to look at are Pioneer, Yamaha, and Onkyo.

Unlike the Bose packaged systems, speakers are purchased separately. They can be bookshelf, in-wall, or in-ceiling speakers. Just remember, in-wall are used for home theater and music - in-ceiling is really for music only - especially in a great room.

o

Got it. Now I have a start. Thank you so much.

o

Our new house has a great room design so there will be no walls for surround sound speakers. Putting speakers in the walls definitely works better, but that isn't an option for us so we are looking for speakers that are built specifically for surround sound in ceiling. So far we have found Paradigm to have some really good options. They aren't cheap but this is one area we feel it is worth investing in quality that we know will give us the results we are looking for.

o

these are not speakers - but i would recommend Sonos zones for music. if you're not familiar, definitely google and read. Sonos is just the best!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here