Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just a rant about DVDs

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 13:38

Over the weekend, we put on a BluRay disc of MammaMia, and I knew I had to rant. This disc was a present, someone paid full price for it, and what do we get? Previews of a couple of movies that were flops, ads for TV shows that lasted 1/2 season 4 years ago, a PSA on smoking, a long ad for BluRay discs. And I couldn't skip any of them! "Not available". Yeah, I could fast forward thru them, thankfully.

But why do I get ads when I buy a DVD? Maybe on a rental disc, but not when I'm buying. And previews are so rapidly dated that they are really annoying on slightly older DVDs.

There, now I feel better now that I've had my rant. ;-\

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just a rant about DVDs

This is one of the many reasons why piracy, though illegal, is so popular.

o
RE: Just a rant about DVDs

Yeah, it's irritating, but the FF button can be your friend ... at least until it also gets blocked! :-)

Inability to outright skip specific sections of material is coded into the control software that the player reads from the disc.

I've also run across rental Blu-Ray DVDs that have access blocked to the extra features. A message advises that access is not blocked on retail discs.

It's all about the licensing with the movie studios ... which trust me on this, they're all bad and getting worse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here