Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do you hide elec. cord when mounting lcd tv to wall?

Posted by mlaj2000 (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 13:34

We want to mount out 15" LCD TV to the wall in our kitchen. It will be mounted at eye level so we may watch while sitting at a peninsula.

We understand how we can run the cable wire through the wall and hide that, but what do we do with the electric cord? It has this 3"x4" "box" attached to the cord. I know we cant bury that in the wall. It's very obtrusive. I'm sure others have come across this situation, so any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do you hide elec. cord when mounting lcd tv to wall?

Use what is known as a clock receptacle behind the TV. It is reccessed and allows the TV to be plugged in without a bulge from the plug.
Here is a picture of one from http://www.levitonhelpdesk.com/catalog/search/Clock-Receptacle-1.htm

o

The LCD series use an external power supply similar to laptops. The recessed wall clock outlet is a great idea. If there is clearance behind the set with the wall mount brackets, you can hide the supply back there tied up with velcro or tywraps. If there isn't, you may want to install a full recessed box to stow the supply, outlet, and cable entry. It all depends on how handy you are.

o

Please tell me more about these "full recessed outlets". I'm trying to hide a cord of an electronic dart board and the clock outlets do not seem deep enough.

Thanks!

o

Build a small pocket back into teh wall and place a receptacle in the pocket. Place whatever equipment you need in the pocket.
Watch out for heat.

o

You might also want to consider a recessed outlet kit (see link below). These kits take any decora outlet (110v or low-voltage such as coax cables) and make them recessed.

They also have a cover you can use that you can drill a hole through for your cable and make a very clean look. We used them in our home theater and they look great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recessed clock outlet kit

o

Heres a guide on how to wall mount your LCD/Plasma TV on the wall and hide all the cables. Its pretty good and the site also sells all the stuff you need to do it :)

Here is a link that might be useful: How to wall mount LCD/Plasma TV

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here