Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomknixx

Philips Magnavox TV problem

tomknixx
19 years ago

My one year old daughter was recently playing with the TV (Philips Magnavox 25TS56CI) remote controller and turned the TV on and off repeatedly. Now, when you turn the TV on, there is perfect audio but a white screen with horizontal lines in it. The sceen then looses the horizontal lines after about 5 seconds (the sound remains perfect during all of this), turns pure white, and then automatically shuts off after another 5 seconds. We have tried waiting a few days before turning it on again thinking that perhaps something was "over heated" but there is no change. The owners manual is less than helpful with this problem. Any suggestions?

Comments (183)

• sarahebre
    18 years ago

I have a Magnavox tv we bought in 2003. My 2 year old has "misplaced" the remote. He was pushing buttons on the tv last week and somehow turned on the child lock. We cannot get the tv to turn on anymore. I called Magnavox, but he said all I can do is order a new remote for $45.00!!! Isn't there something else we can do! HELP!

• mecha78spam_gmail_com
    18 years ago

I just got a new 27 inch magnavox stereo tv during black friday, it works fine except for the fact that i bought it to use as a second monitor for a computer. When ever I switch to the video in or s-video in on the tv My picture starts to form darkened areas as if the video is being burned into the tv. I'll switch it back and it will still be there until I turn off the tv. I know that it is not burning into the monitor due to a constant unchanging picture because it did the same thing during a video and every time it appears in the same spot. Is there any way to prevent darkened areas?

• skipshooter400
    18 years ago

Hi PeeWee, I have a phillips TV Model # 27PT5441/37 Chassis # L04.1U
    Serial # YA1A0428014444.
    The Problem we are having is this we turn on the TV and have sound, no picute for about 5 secs, then it will shut itself off and the power light will blink on and off. Any ideas on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

• Don_
    18 years ago

I'm really surprised you people don't realize PeeWee isn't going to scan down 130 some messages to help you. Start your own post!!!!!!!!!!

• isson
    18 years ago

Sorry, I saw others post others Mag probs here so assumed as silly as it seemed, to post mine here too...no one was telling them not to, so *shrugs*

• mikerachel
    17 years ago

I have a Philips projection TV model 9p5514c101. It is a 55" tv. The problem I have is the colors. I have tried to adjust them but just can't get it right. I call a place called the partstore and they believe that it is the focus/screen control, because even when I try to adjust it on the menu it will not really change that much. My question is... when I get the focus/screen control could anyone tell me how to adjust the knobs in the back. I have a red, green, blue focus knobs and red, green, blue color adjust knobs. Thank you for anyone that can help me.
    Mike

• grayhawk
    17 years ago

I have a TS3661C129 (36K800) that originally had the problem with the 10 ohm resistor on the PCB that connects to the CRT. The resistor was replaced, but with in a few weeks the video started pulsing and the horizonal linearity at the top and bottom was slightly to wide. When a picture with a significant brightness comes on the pulsing gets worse and shuts down. Checked the video amp (TDA6108jf) and found it a bit warm, but doesn't seem suffient to say it is overloaded or breaking down. Can you give me a suggestion as to the cure to the problem?

• hootieky
    17 years ago

My sister gave me her 5 year old Phillips Magnavox PTV835 but when I got it home it was doing the same thing as many of the readers describe: picture on...after 10 sec horizontal lines and then no picture but still has sound... I was so encouraged by everyone fixing their own tvs by replacing the resistor but when I took the back off of the tv, I was totally confused. How can you tell where the resistor is?

• swiftlizard
    17 years ago

Hi,

I have a 25" Philips Magnavox TV (Model number: TS2556 C121, Serial #: 33471131) that had been working without any problems until yesterday, when it suddenly lost its sound. I can turn up and down the volume and that displays the volume level, but there is no sound. I've tried muting/un-muting as well to no effect. Also, I noticed that the smart picture and smart audio buttons do not have any effect either. And I can't change channels to Aux/DVD. The Closed captioning is working though.

Reading through the posts, I tried to open it, but not sure how to open the back of the TV. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• bigron451
    17 years ago

Had a power surge to the house. Philips Model 25TS56C121 will not turn on. Philips Model 27PS55S121 will turn on but no picture and there is a clicking sound coming from inside the housing. Thanks for any help.

• scokelly
    17 years ago

I have a TS3259C1 model that was working fine. One day child was watching TV and we heard a pop. Then the TV clicks from the back (like an electrical relay click) about once a second. Have to unplug to make clicking stop. Plug it back in and clicking resumes. Nothing on screen.

Another post for a different TV on another web site noted it could be "a shorted horizontal output transistor".

Any thoughts.

• jcanyon
    17 years ago

RE - Philips TV (32PS60B129)

When I turn on the TV, the tv starts up then turns off. Eventually after a few on and offs the TV will work ok. When the TV finally does turn on the picture does not go all the way to the right and left side for a minute or two. After it does then the TV works just great.

I have experience fixing electronics. Do you think it is the transistor driving the flyback transformer? (I had this problem on a different tv many years ago). If you think it would be difficult to fix, can you direct me to a schematic of the board so that I may try to fix it myself.

Thanks

Jim

• o1sowise
    17 years ago

Everytime I turn the TV on, CC1 is ON. Even if I turn it off, it still comes back on. The strange part is that when I toggle the CC settings via the remote, they appear in an orange window in the center of the screen, but when CC1 is on from Power-on, it appears in a red window at the top-left of the screen.

Any idea how to turn it off for good?

• flyredcat
    17 years ago

I have a 13" Magnavox (model number PR1350 B121, serial number 40896711) which was working fine until yesterday when our one year old was pushing buttons on the tv and now all that shows on the screen is the "introduction menu". We have to unplug the tv to get the tv off. When we plug the tv back in...it still plays the menu. Neither the buttons on the tv itself or the remote will work. Please help!

• truballa
    17 years ago

my Philips Magnavox TV shuts off right when i turn it on

• kaylad
    17 years ago

Hi.Pee-Wee.
    I have a Philips Tv it has a flat not curved screen buts is not lcd its normal size.

*made in- April 2004
    *Model#- 32PT6441/37
    *Chassis#- L04.1UAA
    *Serial#- YA1A0415005856

The problem started with the volume going to max, but later progressed. Now when you turn it on the click comes but it takes a while for it to actually start. finally its on BUT NO Picture, there is however sound for about 2-3seconds maybee. after the sound stops it turns itself off - but isnt completely off because the green power light blinks 1 2 3, 1 2 , long 1 repeat-if blinking order makes a difference. and i really want to fix my big heavy 30sum inch tv.
    We took of the back of the tv slightly to see if the fuse was blown but it looked fine . I dont know anything about tvs. the fuse was all i could think of and theres a mess of cords and things i dont want to damage. I hope you can help the more detail the insturctions the better for me. its just not worth repairman fixing it. I hope you can help me it would be most appreciated.
    Kayla

• randy2813
    17 years ago

I am having the same problem with my Phillips Magnavox TS3254 TV. Chasis Model # 32Z500-7563. The TV starts and after a while the screen goes gray with white lines and shuts off. I have seen many postings to replace the R3340 resistor on the CRT circuit board. My model does not have #s that high on the CRT board. The circuit board # is GR6B-97 212974C0320B is also printed on the board. The resistors are labeled R54, R55, R60, etc....
    Can you tell me which resistor need replacement?

Thanks

• paul_pick_aluas_gmail_com
    17 years ago

My Philips TV which I've had for about 6 years stopped working. When I press the button to turn it on, the red light next to it flashes for about a second, then pauses, then flashes again for shorter. What is wrong with it and how can I fix it? Thanks!

Model Number:A68AJB82X

• djwildwes328_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

My Tv is Phillips-Magnavox Model#9P5514C101, Chassis PTV836. The whole TV works great with one exception; Component Input went bad one day. Black with squiggly horizontal white lines. I was wondering if anyone knew what the problem is. If so, I would greatly appreciate it since this is the only message board I have found with any useful information. Thank you.

• LIGolferTG_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

hey, i know this sounds like a dumb question but I guess i leaned on my remote somehow and i put closed captioning on my phillips magnavox tv. I have no idea how i did it, but now i can't figure out how to get rid of them. I have looked all through the menu and cant find it.

please help, thank you

• anmllvr84_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

T.V. turs on sometimes you can see a horizontal white line then turns right back off, you can push volume or channel buttons and it will do the same thing. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be much appreciated!

• res88qe1_earthlink_net
    16 years ago

I have a Philips Magnavox Model 7P5441 C101 Television and when you try to turn it on there is a wire burn smell, so I took the back panel off and look into the board and had my wife to try to power it on with the remote and there is a round ceramic disk capacitor that sparks and is burned through.

I got a magnifying glass and looked on the board and at the capacitor there is a number C811 it looks like or it could be CB11, it is the only Brown Round Ceramic disk Capacitor there on the right board when looking in from the back.

I tried to call and get a schematic but can get no one to help me, I would appreciate very much if you could help. I was going to purchase a capacitor off of the internet that looks like it but I do not want to purchase the wrong one, and also if you do not mind in which way does it go in as the side with the numbers, I think they go toward the front of the Television correct?

Please send help to my email address would you please, Thanks Again.

Thank You
    Sincerely
    God Bless
    Ben

• rogue_ldr1_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

I have a Magnavox Model #TL7125 C122 that I bought used from a hotel where I used to work. My problem is that because it was a hotel tv it was slaved to a Master Remote that I obviously do not have. The display is stuck on and no matter what I am watching, whether it be cable or DVD, the number three shows in the lower lefthand corner. Is there any way to get rid of this without the remote? I am giving the tv to a financially stuck friend of mine and would like to have that problem taken care of for her. Any help would be appreciated.

• tiger_26_us_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

I am getting a 64" Magnavox tv from a friend, and she says that the flyback transformer is out. Is that a very big problem? And just where would I go to find one of these? Does the great Radio Shack carry these? Just thought I would ask...
    Thank You,
    Shane in Texas

• staceyleelorson_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I just started experiencing this morning my tv going on, on its own and off, constantly. No matter what I do, it does this. The only way to stop it from happening is unplugging it. I have had the tv for less than 3 years. It is a 20" Magnavox Flat Screen. Model #: 20MS3442/17
    Any help would be appreciated, so I don't have to throw it away cause I will not pay those high price tv repair bills.
    Thank You
    Stacey Lorson

• kccjq_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I have a 27PT5441/37 and there is no power. I changed the fuse, which was blown, and as soon as I placed a new one in, it blew. I have heard that it may be the transformer. Am I on the correct path or is there something else? Thanks for the help.

• carplumbco_aol_com
    15 years ago

I have had my Magnavox 27MS343S for several years. I have DirecTv hooked up to it and have been using an S-Video cable for the picture for many years. One day last week, suddenly the picture is in black/white only! Crystal clear still, but no color. I switched the mode over to "Cable" and the color works but the picture is not nearly as clear as in S-Video mode. Any suggestions would be very appreciated! :)

• leanneagle_aol_com
    15 years ago

I am thinking about purchasing a used 55" phillips/magnavox tv, but the problem is the screen is dark. Any ideas?

• khai1963_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hello, any body Please help...

I have a 42 inch Magnavox LCD TV. Model # 42MF438B/27.
    CHASSIS # LC8.1U LA
    Problem: no Video after 5 min. on, sound still good.
    My TV has no R3340. It had 3 circuit boards, the smallest circuit board is inside metal chasis and I cannot pulled it out.
    Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you.
    Eric

• lmzank_peoplepc_com
    13 years ago

Have a 2000 tp2784c that i have swithched over from satillite to antenna because of cost. have reprogramed set through the menu set-up but it only displays one local channel.if i hook up another newer set to co-axial it has all the channels. what am i doing wrong with that set. i have hooked up aconverter box but still no channels but 1.

• busted_traviesa_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I accidently turn on the child lock from my MENU button on my tv... i don't have a remote control and now i can't turn on the tv... can i fix it with a universal control?

• caldwell06_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I slept with my TV on. When I woke up in the morning the TV was off. Tried to turn it back on but nothing happens. Unplugged and replugged, still nothing. No signs of life from the TV at all. No lights on the power button or anything. Anyone know why? or how to fix?

• Bgrich2003_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a similar problem, the tv gets blurry and shuts off. I checked for 3340 on my crt board but couldn't find one, so I started testing resistors and found 3337 had no continuity. It has a red red pur gold and white color code. I'm guessing I should replace it but just wanna make sure I should replace it with the same size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• rlphjustme_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hello there i have a magnavox model 32mf337b/27 lcd tv about 4 years old dont use it much but as of lattelly i been having a problem when i turn it on it shuts of and i believe it goes into safe mode why i dont knowm
    manual says there is is to much heat built up or wall clearancearound ventsmay not be getting itnought air to unit my question #1 if unit is off all day it should not have heat issues and yes there is itnoght clearance please advise me to what you think it may be happening or need tv is like new.
    thank you

• rlphjustme_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hello there i have a magnavox model 32mf337b/27 lcd tv about 4 years old, i dont use it much but as of latelly i been having a problem when i turn it on it shuts off and a red light starts to blink, at this time i pull the power plug off wait 1 min re plug and try turning it on again sometimes it works after i try other times i will have to do this 4/6 times so it starts up and stays on, note after its on it looks and plays great also i notice powering up to screan comes on takes longer then usual, i believe it's going into safe mode why i dont knowm
    manual says there is to much heat built up or wall clearance around vents, may not be getting itnought air to unit my question #1 if unit is off all day it should not have heat issues and yes there is itnoght clearance please advise me to what you think it may be happening or tv may need it's like new.
    thank you

• captrambler_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a 3 year old model 47MF437B/37 magnavox TV that has developed a "split" screen. That is to say, there is one picture but the color is darker on one half than the other, not much, but I can see it and it's driving me nuts. I called the service people and they reccomended rebooting the TV by pulling the power plug and holding the on / off in for one minute. It didn't help, any ideas? Thanks.

• thinkbluedodgerblue_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

My Magnavox combo TV Dvd vhs when i turn it on it Shows SP count 0:00:00 and shuts off after a few seconds, if i unplug it for awhile than plug it back in it would last longer on about ten minutes than SP count 0:00:00 pops back up on the TV screen then shuts off again can you help me pee wee or any body else out there my kids can't play Xbox any more.

• doreendavey_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

I turned my tv on then turned it off immediately and now it will not come on by remote or manually. It was only on a couple seconds when I cut it off.It a great TV until I did that to it. Any suggestions please. It is a model RS 2749 C602..

• randrizzle_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Why is my audio and picture on different channels? The audio is on av2 while the picture os on av1. Why is it like that?

• bcollins_eagle_ca
    13 years ago

I was repairing a Magnavox TV, old fahioned CRT set, 2003, and unfortunately I broke the CRT circuit board into 2 pieces!!! Anybody know where i could get a replacement?

• buds47ford_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a 42 Philips plasma mod# 42pf7320a/37. problem is, while watching for a while the screen will go black no sound or anything. after 20 seconds tv comes back on. might do this 2-3 times in a night & then ok.Hope you can help, Thanks Bud

• lorena1576_lg_gmail_com
    13 years ago

When I turn on my tv it hss audio but my screen is black & there is a red light were the power button lights up....

• sylviac6396_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

have magnavox model 25TS56C121 have it in spare room, so don't use it often today I tried to turn it on and when I did the on light just blinks and then turns off any help would be great.

• derekjj33_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a 50ML8105D/17 that keeps turning off after only a minute after turning on. The red light on the front panel that indicates there is a lamp problem comes on but the lamp is working. Also, the cooling fan is making a funny noise. Please help.

• paxton33_rp_gmail_com
    12 years ago

My tv model ptv810-ah01 turns on then instantly turns itself off. No picture nosound. How can I fix it? It is a 1999 model. Is it even worth fixing?

• streetrodboy_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hey everyone, I need hellp!
    The dumb smart sound feature annoys the crap out of me, especially when I am trying to listen to music through external speakers from my x box. The smart sound always fades in and out at the wrong time HOW DO I SHUT THIS OFF!?

• mega_spence_gmail_com
    12 years ago

i have a 1999 philips magnavox big screen model #9p6034 c102 was watching tv and then it made a static sound and then no noise, i have tryed to turn off & on tv and put volunm up & down but nothing. the picture is working fine, just cant hear anything. please help!!!! it's driving me nut's not hearing anything thanks and the chassis model number is ptv835

• bigbubluboy_msn_com
    12 years ago

27inch tv/dvd combo mod/27mdtr20/17 year2004 tv is ok but picture has some issues peoples faces look green yellow and somes areas purple how i fix thanks in advance pee wee

• haymanwait_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a 57f510 hitachi tv, with the same problem as the first post, it turns on goes white with horizontal lines through it, then it turns off after about 8 seconds. How would I fix it? The same way they did? Just let me know I am not good with this kind of stuff but I will give it a try if It will save my 57 inch tv :)

• woni19
    7 years ago

I have a magnovox with built in DVD player model # 32md357b/37

When I turn it on in 3 seconds it makes a little noise and turns off

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County