Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kygirl99

sony 46-inch lcd flat screen vs. samsung vs. sharp

kygirl99
16 years ago

we're trying to decide between the sony 46" 1080 flat screen vs the samsung 46" vs the sharp 46". the samsung picture seems clearer but sony has a better rating from consumer reports. pricewise, I'm not so concerned about the price difference. I just want to make sure that we buy the best one and if it's a pure waste of money to pay for the sony, then that's good to know as well.

the exact sony model we're considering is the Sony 46" BRAVIA XBR® LCD HDTV (KDL46XBR2)

the samsung is the Samsung 46" LCD HDTV (LN-T4665F)

the sharp is the Sharp AQUOS® 46" LCD HDTV (LC-46D62U)

Comments (16)

• steve_o
    16 years ago

Put the Consumer Reports advice in perspective. If what you consider important in a TV is different from what CR considers important, their recommendation isn't very important. If you're talking about their reliability ratings, there are serious problems with the way CR collects and reports on those ratings. I've heard very good things about all three brands. I'm no LCD TV expert, but, based on what I know about these brands, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

• jdbill
    16 years ago

The Sony 46xbr2 has a wider viewing angle than the Sharp 46d62u. That means you can be further off to the side of the Sony and still get a good clear picture.

However, the new Sharp 46d92u looks even better than the Sony.

I have no experience with the current Samsung line so I cannot give you an opinion either way.

• applemac
    16 years ago

You really can't go wrong with any other them. I have the KDL46XBR2 which I'm very happy with.

• kygirl99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks! we bought the sony at costco yesterday for only $2,749. that's about $400 cheaper than circuit city, sears or best buy. we're happy.

• applemac
    16 years ago

Which model at Costco?

• kygirl99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

the Sony 46" BRAVIA XBR® LCD HDTV (KDL46XBR2) at costco

• applemac
    16 years ago

WoW. That's a good price. Now you want to see DVD's like you never seen before? With the money you saved check out the new Toshiba HD DVD Players. If your watching TV now on your Sony in HD it's nothing compared to a HD DVD. The picture quality on those HD DVD's are amazing.

• jdbillp
    16 years ago

So are the pictures on Sony's own Blu-Ray players.

• applemac
    16 years ago

Forget about the Blu-ray players. Way to much money. HD DVD's Players are on sale now and they come free with 5 HD DVD movies from Toshiba, if you buy your player from Circuit City it will come with 4 more for free. But that's this week only.

• kygirl99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the info. I'll look into toshiba. blu-ray is too much for my budget!

the sony is a great price at costco. it's on their website for sale at that sale $2,749 price, including shipping. sign up for membership and order it. it's a great tv.

• kygirl99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ooops. never mind. I looked at the box. it's a sony v-2500 series 46". not the br2. sorry about that! I think I'll keep it anyway. it's a great pic and has great reviews. it's only $2,599 at amazon with free delivery, but I don't think we'll want to take it off the wall for just $150 in savings over costco. :)

• applemac
    16 years ago

You still did good. You bought a TV that's 1080P. Now do you have cable or satellite receiver? If so make sure it's hooked up to your TV by a HDMI cables. Those HDMI cables gives you the best picture.

• jdbillp
    16 years ago

There are $599 MSRP Blu-Ray players coming this summer.

Or get a PS3. It is a wonderful player, too.

• capt.dan
    16 years ago

The 46" Sharp Aquos 46d62u is available at COSTCO for $2,299 and there is a coupon good through this Saturday for another $300 off, making it $1,999. Pretty darn good deal!

• georgiev
    16 years ago

I've been shopping for an LCD (would consider DLP but I have viewing angle issues).
    Just got a guy at a major app'l store to offer the 46" BraviaXBR for $2600 - then he tried to clock me for a $400 service contract! What's up with the SC? I'd appreciate any feedback. Is this a good deal?

• steve_o
    16 years ago

A service contract essentially is an insurance policy, with you guessing that you'll need to spend more in repairs than the service contract costs. They typically are huge moneymakers for the companies offering them. Your best bet is to get a copy of the service contract and find out what it covers and what it does not cover. If your TV is likely to be a victim of abuse from kids or pets, see if that kind of damage is excluded. Find out if the service is in your home or if you have to truck the TV to a service facility -- and find out where they are. Find out if there are odd requirements like annual inspections or other likely exclusions (lightning damage, etc.). Then take the warranty that comes with the TV anyway and figure out what the service contract adds. Frankly, I've never had one on which I made out. So I tend not to buy them anymore.

Oh, and BTW, this may be too late for you if you walked out of the store with the TV, but your cost for a service contract is negotiable. See if they'll offer it to you for less or even throw it in.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures