Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lcd hdtv & normal channels

Posted by cstrombe (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 22:15

I have heard that viewing standard channels (not broadcast in htdv) on a flat panel lcd hdtv tv looks worse than you are used to seeing on a crt tv. Is this the case? We have DirecTV and are just wondering what to expect if we get an lcd flat panel hdtv.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lcd hdtv & normal channels

It can be true. Not just on LCD tv's either. It can also be true of HDTV tube and plasma sets.

The sets are designed to give you the higher detail that HDTV provides. Unfortunately, that extra detail capability also can show you how poor regular TV can look.

This is not an absolute though. Some HDTV tv's can show a wonderful picture on non-HDTV programming. It depends on some variables. These include signal strength, quality of reception, and size of picture.

o

I have a 32" Sony Bravia LCD. With a good digital cable feed SD broadcasts are very good and HD is amazing.

o

It seems to depend on your signal quality. I have 9 cable drops in my house, and when I moved in last year I was terrified at how the picture would look, espesially on my LCD that I put in the bathroom. To my suprise I have a great signal, my LCD looks really good with analog channels, and my 50" SXRD looks amazing when watching analog too. Of course HD is flawless on the SXRD. My last house had a garbage signal with half the drops in the house, and that was only 9 houses away.

o

we have a 42 inch sony bravia lcd and do not have cable. The air channels are about the same as our tiny old tv and the air HD channels are AMAZING.
-renee

o

We want to get a 32 inch Sony Bravia. We presently have digital cable service. Will we need to subscribe to the HDTV service to have a decent picture?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here