Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunfeather

Baby Boomer looks at music technology in 2010

sunfeather
14 years ago

OK -- I thought I was sorta with the computer generation but things are just out of hand. My receiver (amp?) has died and now I'm wondering how to go about listening to music in this day in age.... Dare I try to move forward? How do I do that?

Comments (7)

• sushipup1
    14 years ago

Me, too. We just hooked up our new internet-ready Blu-Ray player and the Bose speakers, and I am playing with Pandora. I saw a lot of systems that accept MP3 players. But I am getting the idea that my old CDs are just for use in the car on long trips. I haven't bought a new one in years now.

Anyone want a nice collection of old LP's?

• Debbie Downer
    14 years ago

Hope this thread gets more responses- don't know that I have any answers to your questions!

I am eventually going to get my rare collectible vinyl into digital format - and I LOVE the idea of downloading songs/ parts of albums (haha that word "albums" dates me) instead of having to spend massive $$$ on CDs but what I'm wondering is.... what exactly do I use for a home audio system and how does that connect with the computer functions, TV/movie viewing, etc. I'm trying to look at the system as a whole so I can get the most bang for my buck. I went to Best Buy the other day and it was all pretty much unrecognizable - is there such a thing as a receiver anymore?

Used to love listening to music on a good quality system - being able to hear all the rich details and clarity - music on the go and the Ipod thing doesn't interest me.

• sushipup1
    14 years ago

Our new Samsung Blu-Ray player is internet-ready, so we installed a wireless router for the computers, and the BR player picks it up. So I should be able to use Pandora on that, haven't tried yet. We got a $599 Bose speaker system with our new TV, and it sounds great. So if you can get some player that will work with speakers for your TV, you'll enjoy it.

That's my report so far!

• tigerbangs
    13 years ago

I guess the real question is that you are a music lover, and how do you integrate your existing library with new technologies? Clearly, a good music system has to deal well with all the technologies. if you have LPs, then you need to make sure that you get a receiver with a good phono preamp built in: most manufacturers have abandoned phono preamps as currently irrelevant, but they are absolutely necessary if you want to enjoy your vinyl, or even if you want to dub your vinyl over to digital at some time in the future. I have had good experiences with NAD and ARCAM products, as they offer receivers with very good phono preamps.

If digital is important to you, then look for a receiver with enough inputs to accommodate a music hard-drive system, and other digital sources like your cable-TV Music Choice. Most newer receivers offer digital inputs that can convert the digital signal from your computer or cable TV/satellite receiver box.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I no longer have LPs just CDs. Digital is what I'm looking for.

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

I have several Sony 400-CD jukeboxes that are daisy chained together...that are now gathering dust.

This winter I changed over to Rhapsody/Pandora, accessible via a Sonos system.

For me it really was a matter of taking a long hard look at what I have, where I want to be, and how to best get there.

Sonos fit the bill in terms of whole-house sound control. Out of the house too, as I have a zone out by the pool. From a different source being played in each room, to whole-house music perfectly synched with the same song playing in each room. The hand-held remotes are terrific. Intuitive and easy. Alternate control can be via a PC/Mac or an iTouch/iPhone app. iTunes libraries are easily accessed too.

Rhapsody and Pandora are just plain fun. Rhapsody can get me the song or artist or genre I want. Pandora can play a genre. Good for music discussions with friends when "what was that song..." discussions come up, or for being exposed to artists similar to artists that you already know and enjoy.

I hate to sound like a schill for this product, but Sonos has really renewed my relationship with music. It makes listening easy.

• mickey_motherj_com
    13 years ago

I have been in the music business all my life It's my 70th birthday and I decided to record this song entitled Old Dogs and share this You Tube video with friends . So far the response is to cool . it's scheduled for Growing Bolder PBS /TV /Radio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8inY6flQFaE&feature=youtube_gdata

All the best with your creative adventures and enjoy the music in life

Mickey Carroll
    Grammy Nominee
    Gold Record Recipient

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.motherj.com