Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AC -DC Wattage conversion

Posted by tim45z10 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 20:22

My refrigerator consumes 331 watts. Lets say it run 20minutes per hour. Lets also say I have a dc generator that produces 60 watts. How long would it take to charge a 12vdc battery (with inverter)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AC -DC Wattage conversion

Golly by gosh! While I'd really like to try to answer your question, there's really not enough information here and it's rather difficult to follow.

What's the refrigerator have to do with with this, unless you are trying to power it off a 12 volt battery with and inverter.

BTW, the refrigerator may consume only 331 watts while running but may require up to 20 amps to start the compressor. But then, what size refrigerator are we talking about?

As far as recharging a 12 volt battery:

What is the voltage output and current output of the generator? What is the amp-hour rating of the battery? How far has the battery been discharged?

The inverter would be used to convert the 12VDC to 120VAC and usually has an overhead of at least 10-15% in excess of the load.

A little more information is needed here, but running a fridge off an inverter from a 12 volt battery, being charged by a 60 watt generator is just not going to happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here