Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need 'Window is Still Open' reminder buzzer/chime

Posted by jaxo (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 08 at 19:52

There is a window that gets open at night to allow air circulation, but the blind is closed for privacy. The next morning the open window is forgotten about and the person in that room leaves the house oblivious that the window is still open.

I'd like to get a sensor on the window and the exterior doors that will set off a buzzer when the exit door is opened while that window is still open to remind the person to go back and shut the window before they leave the house.

Does anyone have recommendations on something easy to install without needing to install a complete alarm system?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need 'Window is Still Open' reminder buzzer/chime

I can't recommend anything but I have to believe that something like that exists. I have garage door sensors that flash a red LED when one of the doors is open but the mechanism that actuates the LED requires the sensing mechanism to tilt from vertical to horizontal (it's mounted on the inside of the garage door).

There are so many inexpensive cordless DIY alarm systems now that you might be able to use parts from a basic system to make something that works for you.

Bob

o
RE: Need 'Window is Still Open' reminder buzzer/chime

i know how to do it for a wired system, just not for a wireless.

you take a basic wired system and hook a 12v light to the siren inplace of a speaker. you run a line to the window and put a window sensor there, and run another line to the door and put in a door sensor there. hook these up in parallel at the panel. if BOTH are open at the same time, the light comes on. either one opens and the other is closed, and no light. we actually did this at a few locations when i was installing alarms.

you can do the same thing with a DC wall wort and a relay and 2 sensors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here