Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wall Mounted TV

Posted by parkplaza (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 17:55

My tube TV died. We purchased a flat screen 32" at Costco along with a TV wall mount swivel bracket.

I am going to install an electrical outlet and cable outlet on the wall near the bracket to avoid the cables handing down to floor level outlets. I am a versed handyman so I can do this with no issues.

What I was wondering....how to you connect for example a DVD player to the TV. I guess you need to lay the DVD player on a dresser for example. What what about the data cables. There are so many cable types...HDMI, red, yellow, white, etc. What would make sense to run behind the wall? I am not into this stuff, so I have very little high tech background. I guess they have outlet plates with the connections for these cables? Do they sell "behind the wall" HDMI cables and the red, yellow, white? Should I run conduit behind the wall? Do I just need HDMI, or do I need all the colors too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wall Mounted TV

Hi,

First things first, not every flat panel TV needs to be wall mounted, most people put them way too high and they all come with a base that you must remove first.

If you have a desired location and know where you want your equipment then what you want to do is create a passage-way from the TV down to the equipment through the wall. Use the low-voltage old-work boxes and dress them up with hooded face plates. Then you can run whatever cables you may need/desire for the equipment you add.

Std. DVD, with upconversion or BluRay can carry everything via HDMI. You want all cables to be "in wall rated" which is for fire safety purposes most of all.

If you have other equipment that requires either RF, composite, S-Video, Component, RGB, or HDMI you have the feed-through in the wall cavity already in place.

The AC power however is separate and must have an outlet behind the TV fed via proper electrical installation techniques. Keep the Romex and signal cables as far apart as possible and avoid parallel runs beyond 2-3 feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here