Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
voice over IP phones?

Posted by nemmell (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 16:38

I have just signed up for phone service with my cable tv provider. My question is, does it take a special phone to use or can I just use any phone? I see voice over IP phones for sale.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: voice over IP phones?

we have vonage, and you dont need a special phone but with ours we have a special router that our phone plugs into.

not sure about VOIP with cable providers though.

o
RE: voice over IP phones?

We have phone service through our TV cable provider (Mediacom), along with broadband internet. Uses existing phone lines in the whole house with no special phones needed.....only thing needed is a special modem for it, which the cable company installs.

Be aware that if electrical power OR TV/internet (cable) has problems, you won't be able to use the phones.

Tracey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here