Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does TV converter box act as a tuner?

Posted by kashka_kat (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 16:24

Well, I don't watch a lot of TV so just now getting around to dealing with getting a converter box.

Actually, I don't have a TV, I have an old computer monitor which I've used to watch DVDs and TV thru the VCR. It has a great sharp picture but alas the TV tuner in the VCR does not work anymore.

Am I correct that the tuner box in the converter is all I need - since there's a tuner in the converter box I should be able to just plug it into the monitor,no? It has RCA type plugs, 1 for audio and 1 for video.

If not... is there such a thing as a combo TV & computer monitor? Like I say - I don't watch much TV.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does TV converter box act as a tuner?

If your monitor has a video input and and audio input then yes, the DTV converter should work as a tuner just fine. Just remember to go into the converter's setup menu and adjust the audio output from stereo to mono.

Understand that with this arrangement, you will only get DTV channels and not receive any analog channels.

o
RE: Does TV converter box act as a tuner?

Two more things:

1.) Some HDTV converters have VGA outputs, so they can directly drive an computer monitor at full resolution. (I have an old Samsung SIR-T451 converter box that can do this.) However these converter boxes will not be "coupon-eligible".

2.) Yes, there are a number of monitors nowadays that do have built-in TV tuners. Alternatively, you can also buy TV tuner cards that plug into your computer. You can then watch the video in a window, and use the computer for other things at the same time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here