Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is an ATSC tuner....

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 13:47

and should I wait to buy a dvd recorder that has one? I was looking at a panny Es15 ($109) or a panny Es25 ($169). Niether have this type of tuner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is an ATSC tuner....

An ATSC tuner is what you would need to record over-the-air digital broadcasts.

Should you wait? That would depend on what you want to record and how those things get to you.

If you want to record digital broadcasts off from an antenna you will want an ATSC tuner.

If you subscribe to a satellite service, no, you won't need an ATSC tuner.

If you subscribe to HDTV cable and use a cable box, no, you won't need an ATSC tuner.

If you subscribe to HDTV cable and don't use a cable box, yes, you need an ATSC tuner.

Hope this helps.

o

What does ATSC stand for?

Pooh Bear

o

Well, right now, ATSC stands for "Advanced Television Systems Committee"; the group that worked on the standards for HD TV. The old (mostly-U.S.) standard is NTSC, which stands for "National Television Systems Committee" (a similar, earlier committee). The term NTSC has been corrupted over time to stand for "Never Twice the Same Color". :-)

o

So if I understand correctly, I currently record 8 programs a week via my VCR w/out a cable box involved. At some point in the next year or so when everything goes digital, that VCRs tuner will cease to work and I'll have 2 choices:

1) Get into the 1970s version of hooking the VCR to the cable box, programming to record channel 4 and leaving the cable box on antuner to whatever channel I wish to record AND not being able to watch anything else at that point.

2) Get a DVD recorder with this new type tuner.

Is that about right?

o

Yup. About right.

However, if what you do is time shift, IE record a show, watch it, and then erase it, I have found it far easier to use a cable box with a built in hard drive recorder than trying to sync a VCR with a cable box.

If you want to archive something on a DVD you can then use the DVD recorder to do that.

o

Never Twice the Same Color...
LOL, never heard that one before.

Anything like that for PAL and SECAM?

Thanks for the info.

Pooh Bear

o

Anything like that for PAL and SECAM?

Not that I've heard; sorry. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here