Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Static on TV

Posted by mxyplx (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 12:13

We get intermitent bursts of audio static which also shows on the screen as very small light bursts. More or less on one station or another (somewhat less on the stronger stations). Generally during mid day. Sometimes worse than others. Sometimes its impossible to keep watching because the sound (voices) get interupted too much. May go many days w/o happening. This may last a few minutes or a few hours. Picture seems unaffected.

CRT TV. Thru-the-air signal. Antenna is in the garage rafters so wind can't shake it. Nothing driving by. Nobody walking by. Nearest neighbor house is about 100 feet away. Can't correlate it with weather.

Seems to me it must be from an external source because we've turned off every thing in the house.

What should I look for? Will it damage the TV?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Static on TV

TV interference can be very difficult to diagnose and it could be coming from many sources.

If I had to make a wild guess, based on your simple description, I might suggest your problem could be caused by "power line" interference. It typically shows up as random/intermitant lines (dots and dashes) running through the picture and (if it is bad) "static" also coming through the TV audio (in sync with the video 'noise'). Usually this type of electrical interference is worse on lower channels (2-6) and starts to fad out (decrease) for the higher channels.

One way to help verify this is to listen to an AM radio tuned to a not-too strong station and see if you can hear the static in the radio when you see the problem on your TV.

If you can coordinate the problem on the radio TV it is a good indicator the problem may be coming from a faulty 'power line', probabaly somewher close to your neighborhood. Powerline interference bad enough to disrupt TV and radio signals is usually caused by loose or cracked insulators, loose connecting hardware on te powerline, bad lighening arrestors or silly things like a piece of chain or wire thrown over a high voltage line. Often times powerline interference is worse on a dry, windy day. (Interestingly/surprisingly when it rains this type of interference often STOPS becasue the electrical arcing is reduced due to the slightly improved conductivity of the water which reduces the electical arcing!)

If you can confirm the interference may be coming from the powerline you may be able to (hopefully) get some help from your local power utility.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here