Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is a qam tuner?

Posted by graylight (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 07 at 12:09

Hi everyone,

I was looking over some tvs at techbargains. Comparing the LN-S4051D to the LN-S4042H.

Aside from the higher contrast ratio of the latter (and the higher price), what is a QAM tuner? Do I really need it? They both have digital and analog tuners but the second set has a QAM tuner. What is that?????????

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is a qam tuner?

If you don't have a cable tv set top box,
yet you do have cable tv signal
... the QAM tuner tunes the digital cable signals.

Quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) is a modulation scheme which conveys data by changing (modulating) the amplitude of two carrier waves. These two waves, usually sinusoids, are out of phase with each other by 90 and are thus called quadrature carriershence the name of the scheme.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here