Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New TV in but some channels snowy

Posted by tracey_b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 07 at 11:41

We are now the proud parents of a 70" Sony KDS-XBR2 and Onkyo receiver, Definitive speakers, HD tuner/DVR. All I can say is "WOW!" However, the TV's reception of the lower channels (from "regular" cable plan) is terrible. The digital ones are okay (and of course, the HD ones are terrific).....but why the snow/poor reception on the lower cable channels? We do have the cable split after it gets into the house, but I put a cable amplifier on the line leading to the HDTV--still not any better. I can't give it the "best" line or my broadband connection is degraded such that it's about unusable. Would 2 cable amps be better--one before the splitter and then one after the splitter (on the line leading to the HDTV)?

The Cable Guy is coming out this week--hopefully he'll have some idea for us short of running a totally new line.

Thanks.
Tracey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New TV in but some channels snowy

There is definitely a weak signal in the cable system in your home. A good tech should be able to troubleshoot and give you acceptable picture quality on all channels.

I'd wait on any more amplifiers until your system is tested.

o

I had the cable company come out....discovered some leaks in the signals. They replaced a few connections and it all cleared up. All channels good to great now!

Now I can take the amps back to the store.

Thank you.
Tracey

o

Many times those leaks are found at the connectors that are crimped onto the end of the coaxial cable. It can be easy to pull the cable loose from the connector.

I've seen them "repaired" just by shoving the cable back into the connector.
I've seen them "repaired" with electrical tape.

Also, too many splitters can cause picture issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here