Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Measuring resistance with multimeter

Posted by littleblu87 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 14, 09 at 6:29

Please excuse my ignorance regarding multimeters and electronics. I'm in the process of trying to learn about all that stuff.

I need to test a 1M ohm resistor to confirm that it's working.

Apparently the multimeters I'm considering buying are manual range. So to test a resistor I would have to turn the dial on the multimeter to one of these settings: 200, 2000, 20k, 200k. But some multimeters have 2000k and some have 20M. Does that matter at all for testing a 1M ohm resistor? If so, which is better? I don't think I need an auto-ranging multimeter. That would probably be a little over the top for my needs right now.

Does it matter whether the input impedance of the multimeter is 10M ohm or >1M ohm? Or does that not have anything to do with testing resistors? That has to do with voltage, right? This stuff is so confusing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Measuring resistance with multimeter

you would need a range that is higher than what your testing...

2000k = 2M

also, you would probably need to remove the resistor from the circuit,
so that you're not reading any other components in the circuit.

o

I agree with Regis, but I would add that sure, you can test the resistor out of the circuit, and if it looks burned then it's already out of spec (resistance will keep climbing when it overheats) but would point out that a replacement resistor will cost you less than ten cents if you can get one, say at an electronics specialty store. I always spend the extra two cents or so, and get metal film as they last longer and stay more consistent over their life. Carbon film is ok for most things though.

What makes you think the resistor is at fault? Unless the circuit is very badly designed, the resistor should not overheat or fail unless there's something else wrong in the circuit or the resistor's physically damaged.

When replacing the resistor, make sure you use fine nosed pliers to hold the resistor wire right next to the body before you bend the wire - if you just bend the wire, you risk damaging where it attaches.

o

You can get a digital meter from Harbor Freight for $2.99, battery included!!! You can get one step up for $10.00. I bought one of each just to see how they perform and haven't seen any difference between the two other than color and price. I have several meters which run into the hundreds of dollars and have found these "cheapies" to do well for general testing, such as what you want to do.

o

If the dial shows 200K max, you can't measure a 1M Ohm, obviously.
A 2000K or 2M setting will measure it just perfectly.
A 20M setting will measure it, but much less precize than when you have a 2M range. But just to see if it works or not, even that would be OK.

o

A meter with 2M as totsl resistence range will not measure a resistence greater than 2 megohms and you intend using a DVOM for general handy man testing this is adequate. If you plan to work on electronic circuits spend 10 bucks and get one with 20M range

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here