Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
farraday cage

Posted by tim45z10 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 22:13

If I were to wrap a box with aluminum foil, could I expect it to act as a farraday cage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: farraday cage

Yes, as long as the foil had a continuous electrical connection all around outside the box, and the inside of the box was completely electrically insulated from the outer foil shield, it would be a Faraday cage.

Depending on the strength of the external signal(s) you are attempting to keep out, a thicker outer shield and even grounding may be required.

o

Thank you for your post. Would the cardboard box the device came in be an acceptable insulator?

o

You have me real curious as to what you are doing with this
project.
Dry cardboard is an insulator but for how many amps I wouldn't
know. How many amps will be carried by this apparatus.

Pooh Bear

o

The insulation, as well as the shielding, really depends on the type of EMI you are trying to dissipate.

Are you trying to simply block nearby radio interference or attempting to block an EMP from a high altitude nuclear detonation, coronal mass ejection, or E-bomb?

Or, on the other hand, are you attempting to block external electronic eavesdropping of your own electronic devices?

o

I bought a wind up radio, that I am trying to protect from the possibility of a coronal mass ejection CME.

o

"Would the cardboard box the device came in be an acceptable insulator?"

Yes, unless you're way up north, normal/above normal CME activity is usually relatively weak once it gets down to non-connected electronic devices in the home.

You could either build a Faraday cage box to keep other devices in as well or just tightly wrap the radio box up in foil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here