Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about remote controls

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 21:02

Hi all,
My old faithful remote bit the dust. I use it mostly for programming my VCR and watching TV. One feature I really loved on the dead remote is "tape position". I can't seem to find this feature on other remotes. Is this not a common feature? I loved knowing exactly how much tape was left without having to ff through the whole tape and figure it out.
And why the heck do they put the most often used buttons at the very bottom of the remote? Its so ergonomically not well made.
Is there really much difference between any of the remotes in the $10-$15 range? I ended up getting the RadioShack Family Favorites remote for $10 but haven't used it yet.
Maybe I'll find the "tape position" feature hidden away in some menu somewhere??? On my previous one, it had its very own button. Gosh I miss that button.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about remote controls

catherinet,

I've never heard of a "tape position" button before. What brand and model VCR do you own?

o

Hi jdbillp,
I don't have the model number, but the VCR is a panasonic "omnivision" VCR. One of the last ones made. The remote is a Panasonic "Light Tower program director universal".
I don't know why others don't seem to have this feature. I find it very useful.
I think I might be able to find a replacement on eBay. But I don't know how to do eBay!
Its funny how we get so used to one remote. Its really hard to change.

o

catherinet,

The model number should be on a sticker on the back of the VCR. The number should be something like PV-1225.

o

Okay, I found it. Its PV-4525S.

o
found a possible replacment!

jdbillp,
I did a search using the VCR model number, instead of the remote number, and found a replacement. Its not exactly the same, but it has the "tape position" button! Unfortunately, its about $22.00 plus S&H. Have you ever heard of replacementremotes.com?

o

I have heard of them. When the service manager of the shop I worked at couldn't get a new remote for a customer, he would often refer customers to them.

If the remote you found is similar to your old one, you might want to go ahead and pick it up. $22 is about half of what a new one would be, if you can find a new one.

o

Aren't the ones at replacementremotes.com new? I thought they were. The replacement is almost exactly the same, except for a couple buttons I don't use.
They should make super simple ones for people who only use it for their VCRs. The way most of them are made, all the important buttons for the VCR seem to be at the very bottom of the remote, and not easy to use.(especially for those of us with arthritis!)
I know......before too long we won't have this problem any more, since plain VCRs are on their way out.
Thanks for your help jdbillp!

o

I guess I misspoke (or mis-wrote). I believe that they are new remotes.

They just aren't ordered directly from the manufacturer like we usually ordered accessories.

It's all good.

o

Thanks for your help jdbillp.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here