Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wireless sensors and alarm panels - which play well together?

Posted by elinpedersen (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 20:54

I am about to buy a wireless security system (e.g. the GE Simon), to be monitored by NextAlarm or alarm.com.

I wonder if any of the wireless sensors I already have (left by the prev. owner) can be reused in a new system I buy, like 5 wireless 58xx Ademco components (4 doors and 1 PIR). There is also a Homesight wireless door/window senso, HMSM4140. Can anyone tell me how I figure out what might be compatible with what.

Isn't there one or a few standard protocols that is being used? I have tried to look up transmission protocols but basically been unsuccessful - perhaps I look in the wrong places? There must be a simple way of checking the specs to determine if the sensor signal can be picked up by the control panel - without having to first buy the panel and do trial and error ;-)
[I apologize if this message is posted twice; when I first submitted it "didn't stick"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wireless sensors and alarm panels - which play well together?

If you want to reuse your existing wireless sensors, make sure your alarm panel is made by the same manufacturer. If you have existng Ademco sensors, you must use an Ademco panel with a wireless receiver such as the Ademco 5881. Nextalarm will support any number of different panels that use the 'contact ID' signalling standard. Don't feel you must use one of the panels that Nextalarm sells. I use a Ademco Vista 20P and have it monitored by Nextalarm. Those wireless sensors aren't cheap. You will probably want to try to reuse them.

Check out the excellent forums at:

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Security Store

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here