Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying a new tv - need help!!!

Posted by learningguru (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 20:49

I did my research - I know the difference between plasma, LCD & LCD/LED - but... I have 2 issues. 1) My husband has an problem with his vision caused by a torn retina and 2) we are converting our living room/kitchen/dining area into 1 big room. I want to be able to swivel the tv.

I've read and heard that LCD & LCD/LED have real issues if you aren't right in front of it. Plasma doesn't have the same issues but it's heavier and my DH's friends told him LCD. I'm the one in charge of buying the tv.

Suggestions, Please!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying a new tv - need help!!!

Check the TV's at the stores ..

some smaller (22", etc) LCD TV's have a "contrast" issue if you're above or below line-of-sight.

The larger LCD TV's hardly have that issue.

Depends on the "viewing angle" rating..
usually a slight left-right issue.

p.s. I had a detached retina 3/2009.
I didn't know what it was, but had it checked a few days later, and they scheduled surgery that same day.

It's been a year, now, and everything is great ...!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here