Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'gray market' electronics - good or bad choice?

Posted by mary_228 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 08 at 18:52

In my search for less expensive cameras, etc on the internet, I've discovered that the lower prices are for goods that were made by Sony for other countries and not the US. These apparently do not have the same long lasting batteries and accessories and also do not have the US warranty.

Are there any other caveats you might offer for web purchased electronics? There are significant savings on the items I'm considering.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'gray market' electronics - good or bad choice?

FYI, if it breaks under normal warranty time Sony US will do NOTHING for you. They didn't sell it so they won't help you.

Also, many of those products are refurbished items.

Caveat Emptor.

o
RE: 'gray market' electronics - good or bad choice?

Thanks for the feedback. I searched the web for articles on this topic and found a very interesting YouTube video by someone who was burned.

Guess we'll just go USA version.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here