Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which TVs use a Fresnel lens?

Posted by keithruck (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 21, 10 at 15:50

I want to pick up a used Fresnel lens and I thought that all rear-projection TVs used them- but I just went and looked at a TV and it didn't appear to have one in it.

Are there certain types of rear-projection TVs that have them, and others don't?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there is somewhere else I am more likely to find out this information, please let me know- this was the only forum I know of (I'm usually in the garden section)

Thank you,
Keith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which TVs use a Fresnel lens?

there may be other places to buy a surplus Fresnel lens...

what size were you looking for, or what are you planing on doing with it ?

o

My goal is to get the largest one possible, out of a junk tv so I can get it free. My goal is to use it for science experiments, like maybe driving a sterling engine, melting certain metals, maybe even for some sterilization of tools.
I'm wondering if maybe the one tv I looked at already had it removed, because I haven't been able to find any information about some tvs having them and others not.

Thanks!

o

All projection type TV's have them. The front screen of the TV has 2 layers. One is the lenticular and one is the fresnel lens. If the TV still has the screen, then the fresnel is still there. The fresnel screen has round grooves on the backside. It's just a large flat sheet of plastic.

o

I suspect the TV I checked (which was already apart) must have had it removed; the only thing I found was a flat 'lens' that had square hashmarks, not the round ones I expected.

Thanks for the info, I will look for another scrap to check!

o

Great googly moogly, gardenweb is not just for worm farming.
Keith, did you ever get that sterling engine powered up with the Fresnel lense? I want to make one myself.

o

Old thread but: Try an electronic recycling place if you have one locally, or perhaps a store that sells TVs and delivers them and hauls away old ones. Post on Freecycle, or Craigslist. In fact, I often see ads on those sites offering huge old projection TVs free for the hauling. Sometimes, they don't even work, and ppl actually expect someone to want them, LOL. I might get one myself for the giant lens though!

o

I saw one recently on craigslist in San Diego.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here