Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many HDMI cables needed in setup?

Posted by tracey_b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 14:00

I bought 1 HDMI cable with an up-converting Sony DVD player. It's going into a setup with a Sony SXRD XBR 70" Tv, HD-DVR box from cable company, and Onkyo receiver with surround sound. For optimum viewing, do I need more than this 1 HDMI cable? Seems like the cable that that goes from DVD to receiver would then need another one to take it from the receiver to the TV?

Thanks!
Tracey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many HDMI cables needed in setup?

I would recommend that unless your Onkyo has hdmi that you connect the dvd player via hdmi directly to the tv. Then use an optical audio cable to run to the receiver. Hopefully your tv has hdmi, if not you will need an adapter to convert it to DVI. The first generation 70" did not have hdmi, it had dvi. I would do the same for the HD-DVR box. BTW, the blu-ray players are awsome!!! I have a PS3 connected to my tv and the picture quality is much, much better.

o
RE: How many HDMI cables needed in setup?

Thanks, Scott. This is a new 70" (with the "new" price tag), so it'd better have HDMI--the literature on the current 70" says "3 HDMI inputs". While not specifically discussed, the salesguy did mention making sure the DVD player upconverted and had an HDMI cable, which I'm assuming he would not have said if the TV were other than HDMI capable.....but, I will check and make sure.

Thanks....didn't know before how--if you ran the DVD HDMI directly to the TV--you'd get sound through the surround speakers.....good thing I'm having someone else install it, eh?

Does the PS3 play high-def or Blu-ray? We'll be looking at a "gaming system" for our Christmas.....last I ever played was Atari.....showing my age?

T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here