Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
speakers for TV

Posted by laurenjay (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 11:58

I have a Phillips 32" HDTV. I would like to attach speakers to improve sound quality. The room the TV is in is not huge (I live in an apartment). I do not want these kits with 5 speakers. In the same room I have a Marantz receiver (about 15 years old), a Denon CD player and 2 Polk speakers which were bought at the same time. Can I get speakers for the TV which would also work for my CD player? I don't want to spend a fortune and I don't want a inexpensive kit that comes in a box.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: speakers for TV

Your Philips set should have a pair of low-level audio 'monitor output' jacks on the back. These would be colored red and white for right and left channels respectively. Connect these to the 'aux' input on your Marantz receiver with a pair of patch cables, and all should work.

o

do I have to change any of the settings on the TV?

o

No setting changes need to be made if yo use the suggestion WWS944 gave you. I have been doing this for years and the sound is fantastic.

o

You may want to use menu settings to turn OFF the speakers in your TV set. That way you will only be using the presumably better amplifiers and speakers in your Marantz/Polk setup.

Like maryland_irisman, I have been doing this for many years. (Early 1980s - long before "home theater" became mainstream.)

o

what do you mean low level monitor output jacks on the back of the TV? I only see audio "in". Are you talking about the back of the cable box?

o

The back of many TV's have red and white jacks labeled Audio Out. But not all do.

Does your cable box have them?

o

If there are no "AUDIO OUT" jacks on your TV, your only option is then to use the AUDIO OUT on your cable box.

o

laurenjay: On the back of my Philips HD-ready TV, the audio output jacks are labeled "monitor output". There is also a menu item to turn the TVs internal speakers on/off. But if your TV only has a single set of input jacks, then it will not be feasible to hook it up. These input jacks are normally used for things like feeding a DVD player, or a video game console into the TV.

As jdbillp and criticalmass say, if your cable box has the audio output jacks, try using those.

o

I also made a set of jumpers that plug into the headphone jack on some tv's and fed the other end into the aux on a stereo system that does a great job too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here